Shelley Bra Class with Nikki G.
The Shelley Bra Class is scheduled for 4 weeks of bra-making in community with others, casual, private and fun every Thursday evening beginning October 8 at 7pm US Eastern Standard Time. We provide a safe environment, full of nurturing body positivity while you learn in community with others.
Upon registration, you will be invited to our prep session "Bra Talk" to learn about sizing and fit as well as other resources to begin your bra-making journey.
Pro Tip: Buy the class as part of the Shelley Class Combo and get free shipping on your kit plus an additional FREE SHIPPING coupon to use later.
SHELLEY CLASS SCHEDULE
Wednesday, September 30 - 7pm
- Class Preview / Meet the Instructors
- Bra Talk LIVE! Get to know each other and ask questions about Bra Making
Thursday, October 8 - 7pm
- Anatomy of a Bra - Fabrics, Elastics, Findings
- Getting to know the Bra Kit
- Sizing & Fit - Band/Underwires
Thursday, October 15 - 7pm
Thursday, October 22 - 7pm
- Demo inserting underwire channeling
- Elastics and Closures
Thursday, October 29 - 7pm
- Discuss resolving fit issues from first make
- Show how to make some common corrections.
- Begin 2nd bra
Below are a few suggestions to enhance your experience in the Zoom Sewing Room.
- Ensure the Zoom app is on your phone or whatever device you will be using. It would also be a good idea to make sure your camera can be flexible enough for the instructors to see your table and/or sewing machine area to be able to help you.
- Gigi's Bra Supply has put together a collection of kits just for your class and has same day/next mail out. See all the yummy fabric choices you can make. A bra kit includes all fabrics for cups and band, elastics, rings/sliders and hook/eye closures...sometimes enough to make two bras - just add a second Findings Kit.
Pro Tip: Get a "tester kit with bra findings" to make your muslin for sizing. A light color fabric with a darker thread will give you the best view and easiest way to make adjustments.
- Underwires are added separately, or not at all (they are optional on the Shelley Bra). If you are confident to in your bra size, feel free to order wires with your kit. If you want to begin with new measurements, you do not need to guess at underwire size. The instructors will help you with new measurements during the class. When you order your Shelley Class Combo through Gigi's Bra Supply you receive an addition FREE SHIPPING coupon that you can use to order underwires later (or just get more fun fabrics and kits).
- This is a sew-along style program where everyone is sewing and making bras, so bring your excitement and questions for the experts and other bra-makers and have some fun!
As an 8-year-old child at my grandmother’s knee, I begged her to teach me to sew on her broken machine. My grandmother’s spirit of determination was not going to stop her from teaching me this valuable craft. One hot summer day, she gathered me, some scrap fabric and her sewing kit and taught me how to make my first garment…by hand. Without the use of a machine, I cut and created about 10 halter tops and was the most fashionable little girl on the block. After my halter top creation, I spent years dismantling and upcycling old clothes, creating styles for school. I got my first sewing machine at 12 years old and I’ve been sewing ever since.
I followed my dreams and spent 30 years in the fashion industry in retail, merchandising and sales. I have been taught by some of the top designers in the industry and I want to share what I have learned over the decades with you. Consider this your invitation into the community that was built for you!
For as long as I can remember, I’ve always wanted to sew - as a child I remember playing dress up with my dolls creating many outfits for them.
In the 24 years that followed my sewing pursuits have included many aspects of garment making but my primary focus and passion is lingerie, jeans, jumpsuits, bags, and jackets/coat making. My bra making journey began 10+ years ago when I took a class sponsored by the Baltimore chapter of the ASG. After a day and a half of class instruction, I completed my very own bra. It fit and an entire new world began!!! I really enjoy making custom bra and panty sets, the options are endless.
I am a member of Black Women Stitch and is passionate about educating women about how to make their own bras. I recently spoke on the "Yes YOU Can Make a Bra" episode of the Stitch Please Podcast
NOAMI P. JOHNSON
Naomi’s godmother, a multimedia artist, taught her to sew handmade dolls as a young girl at summer camp. Her godmother gifted a sewing machine for her 30th birthday. For a couple of years, it sat unopened until one day when she stumbled across sewing tutorials on YouTube.
Naomi is a mom always and a teacher by day. She has an after-school sewing club at the elementary school where she works. She teaches garment making and leads A weekly “Sewcial Club” and summer camp at an independent fabric shop in the DC Metropolitan Area.
Cultivating the local sewing community is a passion. Together with two DC Area fabric stores, Naomi hosted the 1st wildly successful DC Frocktails party, celebrating DC Area makers and sewists.
Strict adherence to the DC Stay-at-Home order presented an opportunity for Naomi to try lingerie sewing under the guidance of fellow Black Women Stitch member and Great Sewing Bee panelist DeWahn Coburn. She made her first bra and was instantly hooked!